Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Should i give my guinea pig away or keep him?

Marr

Cavy Gazer
Hey! I currently have one lovely pig and i feel like i should give him away as I'm aware that lately i haven't really taken good care of him lately and i wish i could give him a better life but i have not been really feeling up to it. It might have something to do with all the stress I've been having but also that for a while I've been wanting to get a ferret. I know very well that guinea pigs and ferrets do not go well together so i just don't know what to do. I love my guinea pig very much but i cant help but feel that someone else could give him a better life. I'm pretty sure he's not really healthy at this point but there's no vets neaby and i currently don't exactly have money to spend so i want to do better but what if he doesn't have long left and then I don't have anything to do with the things i bought? I feel that maybe if i give him away he will have a better life with better people. I could get a ferret and treat her/him better than i treated my guinea pig which i every day regret deeply. I'm not a professional so I thought maybe aome of you could help me. thank you.

I can't say whether or not to rehome the gpig, but you will not be doing better with a ferret. Ferrets are like guinea pigs - they can't be alone. They need a lot of space and activity. If you can't care properly for a guinea pig now, how are you going to properly care for a ferret? You also stated you can't afford a vet. How are you going to afford to buy and set up a ferret habitat? When the ferret gets sick, then what? Time to rehome that pet too and try again with something else? If you're in this situation now, getting another pet is NOT the answer. You need to get your life situation figured out first. A pet is a luxury, not a "right" or a "need".

I can't say whether or not to rehome the gpig, but you will not be doing better with a ferret. Ferrets are like guinea pigs - they can't be alone. They need a lot of space and activity. If you can't care properly for a guinea pig now, how are you going to properly care for a ferret? You also stated you can't afford a vet. How are you going to afford to buy and set up a ferret habitat? When the ferret gets sick, then what? Time to rehome that pet too and try again with something else? If you're in this situation now, getting another pet is NOT the answer. You need to get your life situation figured out first. A pet is a luxury, not a "right" or a "need".
I'm aware of that but as i cannot take better care of my pig now i thought i shouldn't let him suffer while i get enough money for him. It's just that currently I don't have it but i know for a fact i will in the future. And i thought that after all this stressing and money problems are over i could try again as i alrady started off pretty badly when i first got my guinea pigs, i got told misinformation and i found out about that only about a year after. I'm just wondering if i should give him away now or try to do better.

It sounds like you no longer want to invest the time and money in caring for a pet. No judgement here, owning a pet means their care comes first. It is a commitment that many people don’t realize until they actually have a pet.

Pet ownership means getting up a little earlier to clean cages, supply fresh food and water, and give them attention. The same after school or work, and again before bed. This is just the minimum amount of care.

If you have a social life, you may have to run home first to take care of your pet, then meet friends later. If you plan to be gone overnight, again, preparations need to be made.

If your pet gets sick, there are even greater demands on your time and finances.

If this isn’t for you, then rehoming might be the best solution. But please don’t just give your pet away. Free and inexpensive small pets can easily become snake food. Contact a local rescue or humane society to be sure your pet has a good chance for rehoming.

Then take some time to decide if you really want a pet and all the responsibility and expense that goes along with it.