Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea pigs free run

Status
Not open for further replies.
tashagurl said:
Yeesh give the kid a break. At least he is trying. My five pigs live in a run outside when it is not to hot and not too cold. I live in Southern California so it is alredy over a hundred degrees. My pigs come inside if it gets over eighty five degrees. They have their own fan to help the air circulate and they have a tarp piled with old towels and sheets to keep the sun and birds of prey out. They love it so much. They get itchy and grumpy when they are inside because I only have store bought cages that are too small for them.
Maybe you should consider making a C&C cage for them, then, for when they need to be inside. Your outdoor run is also a bit better than some other peoples', being safe from predators for the most part. This isn't an attack on you, this is about the safety of the piggies in a pen that is not as safe as yours may be. If he really is trying, why doesn't he at least cover the cage then? Sorry for being so blunt on this thread, but I just don't get that. It's like saying "Oh, she's trying" about a mother who can't feed her kid and being ok with letting it go on without helping... or at least trying to. I really don't get this, and I'm sorry. Again, feel free to pm or email me for further discussion.

ChadWPB said:
Guineapigs are wild animals

Wrong. The guinea pigs we all have are domesticated pets, and cannot survive for long periods of time in the wild.

Even with cats, domesticated cats live 15 years. I domesticated cat turned loose lives only 18 months.

Louis, cats are hunters and much more cunning than you think.

Yeesh give the kid a break. At least he is trying.

No. I tell it like it is. He's not trying very hard if he subjects his pigs to winter weather conditions. He is ignoring any advice that others are giving him. I do not condone ignorance.

cinn&sprin, you're telling me the pigs are happier in a lonely barn than in the house with the family? You've got to be kidding, right?
Just so you know the barn type thing is conected to the house by a hallway type thing it is an actual add on to the house so I don't have to walk outside of the house to get to my piggies. It just isn't made like an actual house so we call it a barn. and I bring them in my room to sleep at night. And if they werent happy they woundn't act like they are. And I am always in that barn type thing anyways I spend at least 4-6 hours a day in there. And the reason why some of my piggies are in the barn type thing is because we ran out of room in house so we figured it was the next best thing then to actually have them outside outside. But i do rotate which piggies have to spend time in barn type thing.

and maybe Louis isn't trying very hard to protect his piggies from the weather which he should be but hes not. There is nothing we can do about it but give him advice. And hopefully he takes it.
cinn&sprinslave

Ok, sorry abou the last two posts they probably made no sense and were mean.
let me tell you abou the barn type thing. When we moved into our house the former owners had poured a large cement slab on which they kept a dog pen. When there was no where else in the house that I was allowed to keep my piggies .. WE did what we thought was the next best thing we built a small barn/shed with windows on that slab of cement. But we knocked out part of a wall in our house and put a door and we also put a in the barn. So that we could get to the piggies without going outside outside. The reason why I call it a barn is because we painted it brown and our house is white. And it also isn't built the same way as a house is.
And yes if for some reason I couldn't keep my piggies in the house. I believe that keeping them outside is the next best thing. It is better than giving them away. My piggies do spend quite a bit of time outside in their run or in the barn.
Usually if it isn't too hot or cold they will spend all day/afternoon in their run.
I don't know if my piggies are happy with me for not always being inside the house.. But I can hope that I spend enough time with and love them enough that they will forgive me. Because I try to spend a lot of time with them whether in the barn or not.

cinn&sprinslave

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Some people have also forgotten that this is no longer the case. They exist only in our homes as pets or, in some cultures, as livestock. They absolutely CAN NOT survive in the wild. There are no wild piggies anymore, we captured and bred them all, just as is the case with hamsters and some other pets.

I should probably tell you that all my piggies now live inside. One cage is in my room, one is in the computer/study room, one is in the living room, and one is the dining room, and one is in the hall way.

Great! I'm glad to hear that. Yours was never really outside per se, but that is still good news! =) I think yours was a good setup, now it may be a bit better!

mncavylover said:
Great! I'm glad to hear that. Yours was never really outside per se, but that is still good news! =) I think yours was a good setup, now it may be a bit better![/QUOT

Ya but now I feel that they are even more a part of the family like a cat or dog.

Yes, I would have to agree to that. They aren't so off in their own little area, now they are right in with you. =)

My mom wont let me build a cage yet. We are really tight on money at the moment and I have been trying to convince her since I found this site.

Hi, Louis! What is reticulation? Also, how is your setup going?

Hi! Isn't it like summer in Australia? It is fall/winter here in the US! How's your piggy?

brrrrrrr its cold here in pgh right now with rain. We will be getting an artic front next week starting monday. brrrrrrrr time to snuggle under a binky.

My pigs are now inside for the winter months. They hate it because they are in storebought cages, BUT I bought the cubes so now all I need is the cloroplast. Its too soggy in my backyard for them to be outside.

I think this person is just trying to get everyone going. Any one in their right mind knows this isn't appropriate. Ignore her.

I know that for a fact now. I don't really want to elaborate, but I think I'll have to somewhat to prove my point.

The user and I were talking on IM, and he claimed to be feeding his cavy ice cream, cereal with milk, and hamburgers. He also claimed once that he was feeding his cavy vegetarian fish sticks. I know, it sounds crazy. I took it at face value at first, and discuessed why that was bad for the cavy. He then proceeded to tell me explicitly that his cavy went outside unsupervised, took a picture of his cavy on a very tall platform outside, unprotected, and made several other claims. I soon figured out that it was not true, and asked if he was telling the truth. He said he was, and so I kept it up just in case. It continued to show me that he was fake, and just wanted to get me angry. When I did not respond with anger, but rather with the facts, he soon left me alone. I'm really sorry that this person feels the need to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.