Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Advice on Fleece Liners

a happy chick

Cavy Slave
Hi! This is my first post, so apologies if I've totally messed it up or something! I have a bunch of questions regarding fleece liners, and I really don't want to mess this up as it's my first time making a large one, and I've bought Zorb which is on the pricier side and definitely not something I want to waste. 😁

So my cage is a 2x6 C and C for my two pigs, and currently, they have unsewn layers of towel then fleece. I want to make sewn liners so it's hopefully a little easier to manage. I was thinking about whether to make 2 2x3's to cover the base, or 1 2x6? (Sorry if that doesn't make sense 😅.) I was originally thinking of the first option but one of my girls loves to burrow and I don't want her sneaking underneath onto the chloroplast and getting herself all wet. If it was just one big piece hopefully that would mitigate her burrowing.

Also, does Zorb need to be prewashed? Originally I thought it didn't but after a little digging, I found that some people found it did need a prewash. If anyone has any experience with that I would be very glad to hear it!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've never used Zorb, so don't know about that. But prewashing shouldn't hurt it, AFAIK.

I doubt that either sewing layers together or making a bigger piece will keep your pig from burrowing. You'd be better off weighting the fleece down. And the more layers you have, the heavier the fleece is, and harder to wash and dry.

Tamina

Cavy Gazer
I made 2x6 fleeces for my piggies. I sewed a thin channel down the long sides and slid a 5 foot thin metal rod (3/8 inch diameter from Home Depot) through the channel to hold the fleeces down. When I'm lazy/rushed I just lay the rods on top of the fleece along the long edges and that works fine also, just not as neat looking. I also made the fleece width about 4 inches wider than the C&C cage so rods lay well on top even it I don't thread them into the channels (the fleece laps up the side about . I found shallow plastic bins that fit both ends of the cage (24 inch by 18 inch) and cut a doorway in each. I made liners for them also. So far they don't chew on these because I worried about the plastic, we've used them about a year. I can clean the cage in about 5 minutes just shaking out the fleeces or totally switching out twice a week. My piggies have a second level that's 1x2 grid squares on one end of the cage for extra play space, that's why I made the rod 5 feet instead of 6 feet, it's easier to get out. The bins on each end hold everything down.
I've never heard of Zorb but plan to check it out.

Anawilliam850

Cavy Gazer
Hi! This is my first post, so apologies if I've totally messed it up or something! I have a bunch of questions regarding fleece liners, and I really don't want to mess this up as it's my first time making a large one, and I've bought Zorb which is on the pricier side and definitely not something I want to waste. 😁

So my cage is a 2x6 C and C for my two pigs, and currently, they have unsewn layers of towel then fleece. I want to make sewn liners so it's hopefully a little easier to manage. I was thinking about whether to make 2 2x3's to cover the base, or 1 2x6? (Sorry if that doesn't make sense 😅.) I was originally thinking of the first option but one of my girls loves to burrow and I don't want her sneaking underneath onto the chloroplast and getting herself all wet. If it was just one big piece hopefully that would mitigate her burrowing.

Also, does Zorb need to be prewashed? Originally I thought it didn't but after a little digging, I found that some people found it did need a prewash. If anyone has any experience with that I would be very glad to hear it!
Regarding the liners, it might be better to use a single 2x6 piece to cover the base of the cage. This will minimize the risk of your guinea pig burrowing under the liner and getting wet.

As for Zorb, it's recommended to prewash it before using it as a cage liner. Some people have reported that it can shrink after the first wash, so you may want to wash it in cold water and hang it to dry to minimize any shrinkage. Additionally, prewashing will help remove any residue from the manufacturing process that may be harmful to your pets.

a happy chick

Cavy Slave
Hi, thank you all for your replies and sorry I took a while to respond to them. You all have great advice 😁

I think I'm going to go for a single 2x6. She might still burrow anyway but I think it might discourage her enough if I weigh the ends down with a box filled with hay or something. I think the metal rods are an interesting idea too.

Regarding the Zorb, I think I will prewash it according to Anawilliam850's instructions.

You are all very kind, thank you!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave

Not sure what you decided but I’d go with two 2x3’s. Easier to wash and dry and they will o doubt have fav places to wee and two pieces vs one is easier to rotate and to change. As for burrowing, you could include a pouch end like a guinea dad liner has or you could give them something else to burrow into, like a baggy cuddle sack. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.