Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

The Cavy Leashes

Miss Piggy

Cavy Slave
Are those cavy leashes and collars they sell in pet stores worth buying? I have always read in websites that cavies like to roam free and those things look like something my little beasties would like to knaw on? Any comments or experience from these things would be appreciated.

mom to cujo

Cavy Slave
From what I understand they don't like them and can hurt them at the same time. Let your guys run free - it will just be a waste of your money.

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
i oso believe GP dun like being "tie up".

Treen

Cavy Slave
They're a dreadful idea and dangerous too - don't bother with them. Guinea pigs do hate being restricted - people who have tried them always report their guinea pigs goes in to huge fits as they try to get out of them. They are also independent animals that can't be 'led' in any way, and hate being pulled on - they like to run freely around within an area.

But most importantly they're not safe. A guinea pig has a tubular body and not much of a neck, so it is near impossible to male a leash/ harness really secure on their body without damaging the guinea pig (who have very delicate skeletons). If it's not 100% secure then it's worthless. Just make them a nice pig pen or run and let them do their own thing - that's what they love best!

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Miss Piggy

Cavy Slave
Thank

ok, thanks for everyones insight. Glad I didn't buy them when they were on clearance :p

Guinealuver

Cavy Slave
my gp hated the leash and almost choked himself trying to get it off. so i would say no it is a waste of money

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I bought my guinea a cat harness to take him outside it doesn't seem to bother him. I don't think he really notices it.

oreo33

Cavy Slave
i agree, when i bought the leash my pig went crazy i couldnt even get it on her. it was returned the next day

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
See Treen's post: she's got it covered. =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.